Sunday, August 30, 2009

dumb conscious

I have convinced Dennis that diapering with a sock is just working backwards. I mean you have to still do laundry and you use a disposable. Our compromise is we will insert the disposables into our three and half year olds panties for night time use. This way we have less waste the dipes r smaller then the pull ups. And we get to use the supplies we have....hope fully once they r done she willbe making it throught the night.

( I just reread that paragraph, and we are so lame!)

im about a month into successful cloth diapering, and my conscious kicks in. Is this really a resolution, I mean I literally have no choice. I have to cloth diaper, or look at my babes bleeding butt. Nope i decide im not doing my part.

Then an idea strikes me

Ben and ticka, My nephew and neice spend three full days here a week. I will use cloth on them while they're here. Thats helping the enviroment. Perfect!

So my mother- ease cloth dapers r snap diapers, which have theyre advantages, (they dont wear out, they dont snag in the wash, they dont collect fuzz) But have you ever restled a one year old boy and tried to do up the four snaps that r neccesary and then get him in a cover and velcro it shut.

Well if you havent don't. it was horrible, it definetly was a two person job. This is when i decided i needed to invest in some all-in-one diapers. For those of you who dont know they r exactly like a disposble but washable & reusable. I went to vancouver island to look for some on a shopping trip....... 24 fricking dollars.... as if..... I found some used ones for 11 dollars, but i couldnt bring myself to do it.

I got home and ebay'd it. 115 dollars would get me 8 brand new diapers. I'm cheap, I mean i had the money but i hate spending it.


So one day I decide Im gonna sew a diaper. and im gonna use stuff from my house.

yup thats right i was sure i could make it work

I found one of hubby's old windbreakers and an old blanket and an old dishtowel..... nothingbut the best for my babe!!!

I was quite proud of the results.... my husband sang praises..... even after the diaper leaked all over the place, The babies clothes, our bed it was gross!

So I moved on to a table cloth.

This worked quite well actually and was really cute.... till the cute print on the table cloth wore off and then it started cracking.

But i was getting good at the diapers now I had made a few cute ones out of a placemat and some faux fur. this one worked great but was really stiff.

None of these though compared to the cute ones online with the coloured stretchy waterproof fabric. I wanted to make those. I really wanted to make them. I searched for fabric and found a place in california... shipping was to much fabric was too much but i ordered two colours and waited impatiently for them to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment