Sunday, January 23, 2011

Maybe cloth diapering is for you

You know you've pondered the idea, thought "I would like to wrap my babies bum in cloth instead of disposables". I'm sure you have weighed the pluses against the minuses and the reason you chose not to was the price or "too much work".

I'm not pushy about what you choose to do, in our family we use sposies and cloth, mostly cloth but we have sposies for back-up.  But I will be honest, I get pretty annoyed with people who tell me they didn't do it because it would be too much work...... In my head I think, "Uh-huh, and you know this how?"

It is almost always non cloth parents who will tell you how hard and labourous cloth diapering is, who will turn off potential fluff moms with their strong opinions. All the moms and most the dads I know who fuzz butt (cloth) their babes think its easiest thing ever. Most feel pride at showing off their fluffy bummed babes. Cloth mammas love and get addicted to the different methods, annoy their sposie friends with details on their latest addition to their fluff stash.

So Im going to give you links to online stores, group buying,  and other ways you can try cloth diapering for the cost of two months of disposable diapers. Then you can choose if it is for you on your own.

First cloth diapers are not costing the ridiculous 24 dollars a diaper anymore. (but if you do buy one for this price you cant go wrong, I love my rump a rooz and BG's) There is a lady in Richmond BC who sells Kawaii diapers for around 6.50 bucks each. Find them HERE she gives discounts for group buying and free shipping for over 70 bucks. The diapers are amazing and they are the first ones I have found that get us through our baby's 13 hour sleep. They are one size and I have tested them on a 6 month old and a 1,2,3, and 5 year old, boys and girls.

If you are an ebay shopper she has a online store where you can get them cheaper Here but ebay has an amazing assortment of cloth diapers browse them here

Most come  from over seas, and at first you might revolt against this idea, but do your research, find out where the most popular diapers are made, Lots of these diapers are made in the same same factories as the the top ten diaper brands.

So If you spend 40- 80 dollars you get yourself a nice little stash to actually try it out, to make the diapers pay for themselves you only have to use them for two months, after that you can sell them used or trade them. Try places like craigslist, facebook groups, usedeverywhere or my fave  Diaperswappers.

And for you adventuress do it your self mammas. Try wazoodle's diaper store, for the supplies to make your own. The packages are pretty well priced and you will love showing off your home-made fluff:)

I mentioned group buying. This is a real valid option where you can get a decent amount of diapering supplies for the fraction of the cost. I'm holding one now, where you get 10 diapers 2 wet bags and 20 inserts made overseas, snap closure prints and solids available. We are hoping the price will be 45- 50 dollars. Message me for pics and deets!

 The bonus of having cloth diapers is you never run out, they are good for a long long time. Our five year old still has to where a diaper at night, so thats 365 diapers a year,  her disposable cost would be 170 dollars a year. But two night time heavy wetters set us back 12.50$

I hope you choose to try:)

1 comment: